UPDATE: I am currently delivering my self-publishing pilot program, Self-Publishing Step-By-Step with the Wonderlady, developed especially for indie authors who want to at least understand the process from beginning to end, and maybe take on many, if not all, of the tasks themselves.
It is a six-week program that takes you through all of the steps needed to turn out a book that reads and looks as good as anything done by a traditional publisher.
I will be expanding this pilot program into a full course that will take place in 2021. If you are interested in being on the advance announcement list, please send me an email, with the word “Course” in the subject line.
The content on this page is about the pilot program, and is the basis of the 2021 expanded course.
You know how there is so much to learn about self-publishing?
- Are you confused about ISBNs, BISAC codes and keywords?
- What about writing a really effective Amazon book description?
- Then there is getting a professional-looking book cover, interior format and ebook editions done without breaking the bank.
And are you sure you are making the best decisions along the way as you take your finished manuscript to a finished book, up online available for sale? Wouldn’t it be great to do all of that without agonizing over whether or not you have all the info you need, and when to take each step?
By the time you get to the end of this program, you will know exactly what to do, as well as when and why to do each step all along your path to publish your book. In fact, depending on where you are with your manuscript, you may be able to actually take those steps during the six weeks, being ready to publish as soon as January.
I created this pilot program to teach indie authors like you everything you need to know to accomplish that goal, whether you have already started down the self-publishing path or you are just starting.
As you may know, I have worked as a book midwife with over 100 indie authors on their books. My main reason for offering my knowledge in this format is to be able to help more indie authors at one time than I can working with them one at a time.
Here is the week-by-week plan of what we are covering during the pilot program:
- Why did you write this book?
- Who is in your target market
- Title, subtitle, author name (your name or pen name)
- Publishing company name
- Walk through my proprietary Book Checklist
- Genre, BISAC categories (up to 10)
- KDP and IngramSpark
- Retail pricing
- final copy editing
- Cover design
- interior formatting
- LCCN numbers/PCIP data block
- Full print cover creation
- ebook editions
- ebook distribution, pre-order and Kindle Select, Draft2Digital
- copyright filing
- Author Central
- book marketing plan and resources
Here is what was included in the Self-Publishing Step-By-Step with the Wonderlady pilot program (and the full course will include even more):
- Six live weekly 90-minute sessions on Zoom (60-minute group training sessions followed by 30 minutes of Q&A)
- Lifetime access to session recordings
- Homework assignments that will help you get through the steps for your book
- Private online group where you can post any and all questions and get answers from me and other participants
- An email “hotline” to be in touch with me directly with your homework (yes, I will give you feedback on each assignment), as well as you providing any feedback you have for me about the program along the way
And if that isn’t enough, here are three bonuses:
- A 30-minute one on one consultation with me focused on your book, helping you move forward past any stuck places
- Ongoing access to the online group
- My proprietary Book Checklist that normally is only shared with my private clients, helping you organize everything you will need to get your book done and available for sale
I only ask for three things:
- That you attend all of the sessions, participating as much as you can.
- That you do the homework assignments and send them to me each week.
- That I can interview you after the program is complete and get your feedback. Remember, this is a pilot program, and I am counting on your partnership in exchange for this reduced fee.
Program Dates To Be Announced early in 2021
The full course will likely be a 12-week program with a mix of content-packed sessions and live Q&A.
Self-Publishing Step-By-Step with the Wonderlady Program Fee
Details to come!
Here’s what just a few of my past clients had to say about working with me:
“I want you to know how much your work with me has meant in my life. When I get up and out to my coffee bar [pre-pandemic] each morning and keep on writing, it is because of our partnership. And that means so much to my happiness and desire to keep this writing life going. Thank you for helping me publish six books so far, with more on the way.”
—Wendy Bartlett, wendybartlett.com
“Ruth Schwartz is a very talented, knowledgeable, dedicated and productive book editor, layout and cover designer, as well as a publishing industry expert. I have worked successfully and happily with Ruth for years and have referred numerous delighted clients to her. I frankly know of no one with her skills, helpful attitude, and drive to help you publish your book. She is truly, a sterling book midwife.” —Peter G. Engler, granthampress.com, companyhistoryproductions.com
“Ruth Schwartz has been my self-publishing go-to mentor for almost a decade and there’s yet to be a problem she can’t solve. One of the things I value most about Ruth is that she is constantly nudging me into new areas of indie publishing, some I knew about, but was reluctant to try, others I did not know about. Also, if Ruth thinks I can do something on my own, she’ll tell me how to, rather than take more money and do it for me. I’m reluctant to say more in fear she will become too busy to take my calls and I need her on my team in my indie publishing life.”
—Sandra V. McGee, WilliamMcGeeBooks.com
You know I started out just like you when I was faced with publishing my husband’s first book as a print-on-demand product back in 2012. So I have been where you are, and I have learned a lot in eight years, helping over 100 indie authors get their books done. Even before that, I have a long history in book publishing, and I have worked hard to keep up with all of the changes. I have been speaking on self-publishing on a regular basis, sharing what I know about all of the bits and pieces you will encounter along your self-publishing path. Lastly, I am known for exceeding my clients’ expectations, which is why they call me The Wonderlady!
If you are interested in getting advance notice on my 2021 full course offering, just send me an email saying “COURSE” in the subject line.
Please email me at email@example.com and I will get back to you right away. Or text me at 415-515-9003 to set up a call.
Book Midwife & Self-Publishing Consultant